Crowley, bookstores etc.

Apr 09, 1997 10:02 AM
by Gregg Bartle

On Tue, 8 Apr 1997 20:21:41 -0400 (EDT), Thoa wrote:

<snip>

>.........................  From what I've heard of Aleister Crowley,
>he seems like an unpleasant character.  I heard of rumors
>that he did all sorts of awful rituals, and started satanic cults.......
>Someone told me that there is one in California near San Francisco, which
>is near where I live.

Just a brief little side note here. First off, ol' Uncle Al is often badly
misunderstood, or sometimes understood all *too* well; in any event, his
writings, while demanding, can be quite rewarding to the student.

Secondly, to help Thoa in her book search, I have a suggestion. If you're
not to far away in the S.F. BAy Area, you should definitely check out
'Shambhala Books' on Telegraph Ave. in Berkeley. While this is only a one
room bookstore, it's stock of new books on religious, metaphysical and
related topics is positively amazing for it's breadth and depth.
Furthermore, if your don't get satisfaction at Shambhala, 'Moe's Books' (the
absolutely best general used book store in this corner of the galaxy) is
right next door.
(A note to any former, current or wanna-be Berkeleyites out there - Moe
Moskowitz, the owner, lord, master and soul of 'Moe's Books' for well over
thiry years, passed away last week at the age of 70. For myself, and many
others, this marks the end of an era. The store had been an almost weekly
pilgrimage site for me since my college days in the 60's. Interested parties
may want to check out the store's website at http://www.moesbooks.com . Moe
was a friend.)

Well, none of this is theosophy (except that theosophy is sharing), so back
to our muttons.

     Peace to all beings -

     Gregg Bartle, member Theosophy International