The Messenger, Bland article

Apr 09, 1996 06:04 AM
by K. Paul Johnson

Somebody else may have pointed out that Betty Bland is
identified as First Vice-President of the TSA on page one of
The Messenger, which just arrived at my house yesterday.  To
identify someone as already holding an office for which she is
currently running, if a slip, is any awfully Freudian one on
the part of the editor.

More of concern to me is that someone running for an important
office is given the advantage of a lengthy, front-page article
in a publication sent to all members, right on the brink of an
election.  Moreover, that article recounts a personal NDE
experience involving the "Council of Light" which might be
taken as a sign of her being "elected" in a much higher sense!

Unless and until Bing is given an equally prominent place to
express himself to the membership between now and the election,
I must conclude that this is blatant favoritism, underlined by
the way the author is identified.  Which suggests a
modification of one element of the Bill of Rights: from
"challengers for any national office shall have the same
information access and election resources as incumbents" to
"all candidates for national office shall have equal
information access...etc."