Re: wow!

Apr 08, 1996 11:49 PM
by alexis dolgorukii

At 07:55 PM 4/8/96 -0500, you wrote:

Chuck:

That's really good stuff below! I agree with every word of it except that
it's my belief that Gautamas ideas didn't survive him for more that say 20
minutes and Christianity didn't survive it's actual founders past the
Council of Nicea. I also agree that except for you, we are all far too
concerned with respectability, and perhaps even far too concerned with
science. What the world needs now is good livable answers to peoples
existential questions. They don't get them, and right now, today, they don't
get them from Theosophy at all. And I may be wrong but I really think that's
what theosophy was really intended to do, answer people's existenial
questions and alleviate their pain and fear. And, as far as I see it, most
of what folks argue about here and elsewhere has nothing at all to do with
that. People are afraid they're going to die, and guess what? They are!
Theosophy could help with that, but it doesn't. Shamanism does actually help
with that,but it's far too obscure at present to help many people. Theosphy
is far too much like the Shakers. How to prevent the same thing from
happening? Theosophy as it is represented by the intellectual sterility that
regularly appears on this list and in theosophical publications, is not
going to do anything but drive young folk away! Discussions on "devachan"
and Manvantaras, and Nirmanakaya Buddhas, may be fun for elderly
Theosophists but the young say "So What?" and go their merry way. If they
all say "so What?" and go their merry way, theosophy is a very dead duck.

alexis