Re: TI membership list

Apr 09, 1996 06:31 PM
by liesel f. deutsch

Dear John Vorstermans,

I don't know how much of an illusion you think it is, if I live in a country
where, if I open my mouth to voice an opinion which doesn't conform with the
Party Line, they'll right away give me a ride to the nearest concentration
camp, or to a Gulag, have your pick. I don't know how free it is, if my
German friend's grandfather was made to join the Nazi Party because if he
hadn't, he would have lost his job at the German Postoffice; nor how free it
was that she herself joined the Hitler Youth, because the other kids in her
class threatened to beat her up, if she wouldn't. Incidentally, my cusin
Eric, who was brought up Unitarian, but had Jewish ancestors, was beaten up
so badly in 4th grade by his classmates that they broke his nose. I hope you
don't call that freedom. I don't.

Liesel