Re: Freedom

Apr 09, 1996 11:24 AM
by alexis dolgorukii

 At 01:55 AM 4/9/96 -0500, you wrote:
>Liesel wrote:
>
>>I just thought of a very important meaning of freedom, at least to me it is.
>>It's the freedom I have of being able to live in the US, where I can pretty
>>well say & do as I please, rather than being forced to live under an
>>oppressive ditatorship.
>
>Interesting perspective.  Freedom is much an illusion and very much a
>thing of perseption or experience.
>
>Certainly in your case you have seen some contrast in to two lifestyles but
>in the end I think you will find there is little real freedom in either.
>
>Cryptic perhaps but worth some contemplation?
>
>John
>
>--
>John Vorstermans
>PO Box 11-410
>Wellington
>Mobile (025) 432-987
>

>To this I must respond, Freedom is not at all an illusion, it is an ideal
to which all people are inclined. Even those who think not. For instance:
most Communists truly believe that their oppressive system is seeking
"perfect freedom". Now as to Liesel's experience, she escaped Nazi Germany
and fled to America, Liesel is Jewish. I would hardly expect she'll find
very little difference between the two systems. No nation or people on this
planet have found truly perfect freedom, for that can only be found in
anarchy when anarchy is absolutely devoid of any hostility. This is a
condition that is presently impossible and so some restraints are needed on
violence and other anti-social behaviour. There are countries which I
believe to be more Democratic than America, as I believe the British
Parliamentary system is superiour to our own, as it is more immediately
reponsive to public opinion. But America is as "free" as any place on this
planet. I sincerely question the motivations of anyone who can see no
difference between America today and Nazi Germany.

Alexis Dolgorukii