Re: Suggested changes to TI statement of purpose

Apr 05, 1996 09:09 AM
by Alan

In message <m0u57al-000JfOC@slip.net>, alexis dolgorukii
<alexei@slip.net> writes
>How about LOTS more!
>
>Alan, I like my suggestions better (of course) but these are fine, the only
>phrase that makes my hair curl is "unexplained laws of nature" it's not the
>unexplained that's so bad, but the "laws of nature", cause as you surely
>Know, I believe only in priciples and the most important of them is the
>uncertainty principle. But, no need to split quarks!
>
>alexis>

Oh boy!  Having read your sundry posts, I would imagine that your hair
goes through a great many revolutions on an almost daily basis :-).

Seriously, I think you have a point of a sort.  The bit that jars with
me (leftover from the TS objects) in "laws of nature" is the
preposition.  I prefer to think of - and observe - what appear to be
laws *in* nature, like "dry wood can burn."  Like if I smash my fist
into the wall it hurts, and I get bruised and bleeding knuckles.  This
is also one way of looking at "karma".  I see no "uncertainty principle"
in such examples.  Are we coming at the same thing from different
angles, or calling the same thing something else?

So far, and I hope it is early days in terms of feedback, this is the
only change I would make: change "laws of nature" to "laws in nature".

Alan
---------
THEOSOPHY INTERNATIONAL:
Ancient Wisdom for a New Age