Re: Protest Unconstitutional Bill

Feb 09, 1996 12:00 PM
by alexis dolgorukii

At 11:37 AM 2/8/96 -0500, you wrote:
>Dear Murray,
>Perhaps things are different in New Zealand, but in the US we consider any
>attempt to control ideas to be very bad indeed, no matter what the idea.
>  This creates certain tensions in our society, but as a people we tend to
>believe that you can never have too much freedom and people who think
>otherwise learn very quickly how little attention we pay to their laws.
>Chuck
>Member TI
>Heretic
>Troublemaker
>
>Note to all who are interested:

President Clinton signed the Telecommunications Bill, which was badly
needed. It is important to remember that the censorship of the Inter-net was
a "rider" to that bill attached by Senator James Exxon. That's one of
america's big problems, ill intended people put really nasty or self-serving
"riders" on to bills providing vital services and, in effect, Blackmail the
President into signing the Bill. The Budget Bill is a prime example of this.
But it is true too, that at almost the moment of signing the bill, law suits
challanging its constitutionality were filed. It is almost certain that the
courts will rejct that portion of the bill as clearly contravening the "Free
Speech" provisions of the american Constituion.  Most American's see free
speech as probably the most vital of our vaunted "Freedoms". I do too!

alexis dolgorukii, member T.I.>