Opposing forces?

Dec 26, 1996 09:30 PM
by K. Paul Johnson

In a general letter to Pasadena TS membership Grace Knoche
asks a question which I feel deserves an answer. While I have
great respect for Grace and appreciate her recent letter
regarding my resignation this question evokes a very emphatic
response. After saying that in recent years American and
European books and articles have "reviled" HPB and Theosophy
making "farfetched" allegations that "besmirch her name and
reputation" Grace asks "is it too farfetched to suggest that
the publication three years ago of Sylvia Cranston's book
HPB... has offended the opposing forces?"

Which invites the response "YES IT IS TOO FARFETCHED!!!"

I dread seeing the spectre of the "Dark Brotherhood" raised in
any Theosophical publication particularly as a way of
dismissing writings about HPB and Theosophy. "Opposing forces"
sounds much like a code-word for the Dark Brotherhood
Mamo-chohans etc. a concept that has been extremely
destructive to Theosophical discourse. Even though from
personal correspondence I gather that Grace wouldn't include my
work among the alleged reactions of the "opposing forces"
others have and do. To suggest that Sylvia Cranston's book is
on the side of the Great White Brotherhood and anything that
takes a less hagiographic look at HPB comes from the "other
side"-- is indeed farfetched.

Two questions that are not asked in the letter but which I
will pursue in a later post are:
1 Who is attacking reviling etc. HPB?
2 Is opposing the portrayal of her found in Cranston's book
tantamount to being an enemy of Theosophy?