re: Musings of a Theosophical Heretic

Dec 19, 1996 07:39 PM
by Jerry Hejka-Ekins

Chuck

Here are my own answers to your questions:

>1. Was the Buddha really enlightened or was he merely some nut
>with a good press agent?

Probably an unanswerable question but it doesn't matter to
me anyway. The Buddha prescribed a way for us to live. For me
the more relevant question would be whether or not those who live
according to the Buddha's teachings find their lives to be better
in some way and if the world is made better by living according
to those precepts.

2. Is karma a reality or merely a useful means of social
control?

I've only seen it used as a social control on two occasions.
Once when I walked into a shop in Los Angeles that sold occult
supplies. A sign above the counter said: "Shoplifting plays hell
on your karma." The other is among some neo-theosophists I
know who after stabbing people in the back remind them that it
is their karma that put the knife there. The implication being:
"Next time play our game and you won't get hurt." More often
among the new age crowd I have seen it used as a cop out to
avoid responsibility for one's self and others. "It was my karma
to be born in these circumstances--so there is nothing to do but
to suffer for it" or "Nothing I can do about it--it's your bad
karma that you are in this situation." Personally I experience
karma as an observable reality: that is--my environment responds
to my presence--for better or worse. As for the pop version of
karma i.e. "You are in this mess because you did the same thing
to that person in your last life"--I don't believe in it.

3. Did the Masters tell the truth in their letters?

Did you catch them in a lie? I always assume others are
telling the truth according to the limits of their understanding
of course unless I have evidence to the contrary.

4. How much of Theosophy is a reflection of the culture of its
founders?

Any idea must be expressed in terms of the culture to be
meaningful. Theosophy is a very Indo-European expression in
spite of its occasional references to non-Indo-European religion.
Consequently Indo-European cultures seem to be the extent of its
influence. For instance theosophy became popular in India
Europe and the Latin countries but never really caught on in
say Japan or China. Neo-theosophy is even more specifically
cultural--with very Christo-European overtones.

5. Does anyone really care about the rounds and the chains and
why should they?
I care about rounds and chains and teach them. The
doctrine when properly understood forces the student to abandon
linear thinking. Whether or not the doctrine is "true" is less
important to me than the perceptive skills one develops through
their study.

Jerry HE

CC to jhejkaekins@igc.apc.org