Re: He/She/It

Dec 14, 1996 08:48 AM
by Ann E. Bermingham

Jerry S.:
>Case in point would be the career woman who must renounce
>her inner desires for children--balancing a career and
>motherhood is a BIG problem in this country and there is no
>real answer to it in sight. Good day care for example is hard to
>find. Men on the other hand don't generally have this problem
>of course some do widowers and so on. Anyway psychologists
>are telling us that women should not have to renounce or repress
>their femininty in order to have a career or own a business. . .

Unfortunately there are thousands of families that have no choice but to have
two parents working and leave the kids in day care with relatives or to their
own devises. That is the only way they can pay the bills. My married cousin
leaves her three kids with my aunt and uncle. Another woman my husband works
with leaves her baby with her mother. They're lucky to have family support.
There was an article in the local newspaper that described a couple in which the
woman just had a baby. In order for her to stay home with it her husband had
to work 80 hours a week. The current order of things can effect many people in
the family. I believe the business world is trying to ignore the whole thing
wishing that things were back to the old days rather than face the problem and
do something about it.

Ann E. Bermingham