Re: Trust Problem

Dec 14, 1996 05:04 AM
by John R Crocker

On 14 199512 Jerry Hejka-Ekins wrote:

> It is too bad that Wheaton has had to resort to the mis-
> representation of facts and sometimes to even slander in order
> to maintain control of the Section. Only a few years ago it was
> the bylaw changes that effectively prevented Bing Escudero from
> running for President. Now Boston Lodge members are being
> misrepresented as having stolen Lodge assets for their personal
> use. We are faced with new bylaw changes that will destroy the
> traditionally held autonomy of Lodges and make it easier to expel
> members who disagree. More than ever I think that the salvation
> of the TS depends upon the members exerting their will.

Yes. As distasteful as even thinking about this stuff is that fact that
the membership has been willing to accept increasingly unacceptable
behaviour has I believe lead some of those in the leadership to believe
they can now do virtually whatever they wish. We probably all want to pay
very little attention to political goings on but perhaps now and then it
is our responsibility - as a means of paying our debt to the founders
an indebtedness I believe most of us feel in some way or another - to
take care of the organization they began.
-JRC

PS. Jerry ... any suggestions as to what form the exertion of will ought
to take? I have been recently wrestling with this question and as you
have a greater grasp of the historical context I would very much
appreciate the broader perspective you might bring to the question.
Certainly crises of legitimacy - such as the one we are approaching - are
nothing new ... how might the current membership in your opinion
accomplish a Headquarters housecleaning without causing yet another schism?