Re J00 H-E Bylaws and Bailey

Dec 11, 1996 09:47 AM
by MK Ramadoss

At 104700 AM 12/11/95 -0500 Eldon wrote:

>Jerry H-E:
>
>>I do remember mentioning the ES connection during those conversations
>>and receiving a long response from Eldon Tucker questioning
>>whether or not I should discuss "classified" ES material on a
>>public forum.
>
>I don't usually repost things but it's been about two years and
>the subject is important. Since you brought up the subject and
>my original posting isn't too long I'm reposting it for the new
>people on the list:
>
>-- Eldon

>Date: 20 199401 085323 -0500
>From: eldon@raider.sandiegoca.NCR.COM
>Subject: ethics and confidential materials
>
>A comment of Jerry H-E's got me thinking about the ethics of having
>other people's confidential materials. Here are my thoughts.
>
>----
>
>An interesting ethical question for us to consider confidential
>materials. Is it ever right to possess and study materials
>belonging to other people materials that were considered confidential
>and not entrusted to oneself?
>
>Does the right to possess and to utilize the materials depend solely
>upon how they were acquired or are their certain ethical principles
>involved that are independent of anything one may have agreed to? Are
>there certain principles that are right to follow regardless of whether
>we can be sanctioned or found at fault by others?
>
>Say that we've found a photocopy of someone's diary in a trash bin or
>perhaps in a folder at a used bookstore. Is it okay to freely use it
>without the writer's permission? What is a fair use of the materials in
>these circumstances?
>
>One of us may have materials of the Esoteric School of Theosophy an
>organization associated with the Adyar Theosophical Society. We all may
>come across materials in bookstores or from friends. How do we handle
>them?
>
>When we have materials where their owner intends to keep them secret
>and it is clearly known that those entrusted with the materials are
>sworn to secrecy does it matter if we came into possession of them
>through an round-about way?
>
>For us to obtain something like the Adyar E.S. materials someone had
>to intentionally or inadvertently break their trust with the
>organization to allow the materials to come into our hands. Are we
>ethically bound to keep them secret or can we say that because we've
>made no specific pledge to do so that we are free to reveal them at
>our own discretion?
>
>I would say that there is a karmic responsibility to the person whom
>betrayed the secrecy and that we may add to their bad karma and make
>some for ourselves depending upon how we handle the situation.
>
>It is not a cut-and-dry situation where a blanket rule can be made.
>But when we read materials meant to be secret and talk about them we
>are in a delicate situation one where we could possible do harm.

> [...]
A very well presented background. I think it is always very
difficult to decide whether some material one knows is "private" to be
published. I think that when time is ripe the past "private" "esoteric"
"secret" material will become exoteric one way or the other.

There are two classic instances/incidents that I would like to
relate. One relates to the Seven Rays. Until a book was written by Ernest
Wood there was not much information formally available. According to Wood
much of the material he came into possession were learnt by himself/or
provided to him by his Teacher. When wood mentioned about the material to
CWL the later pulled out a table that he had drawn up forty years prior to
it and told Wood that that was the ONLY information he had on seven rays and
was astounded about the amount of information that Wood had come into his
possession. It is reported that CWL asked Wood to stop everything that the
latter was doing and write down everything he knew about seven rays. The
whole book was written in a period of one week and when the manuscript was
shown to CWL not a single word was altered. There is a mention by Wood that
not much information was released prior to his publication since the
information on seven rays can be misused and time was not ripe.

The second instance was in the case of the famous Hindu reformer
Shri. Ramanujacharya. His worldly teached told him of some secrets and was
told that were he ever to reveal them his head will blow off. When he
learnt of the message that was to be secret he realized that the masses
could immensely benefit by them. So he immediately climbed to the top of the
Hindu Temple Gopuram Minaret and yelled the message to the crowd below so
that he could pass on the message before his head blows off. Of course his
head did not blow off.

I feel that time makes many esoteric information exoteric because
the former esoteric information could benefit the masses.

...doss