On personal attacks

Sep 05, 1995 03:29 AM
by Richtay

Liesel: "Dear Jerry H-E

Are you going to start hacking around on Brenda now?"

Rich: This is something that is extremely annoying. A discussion of ideas
is taken as a discussion of a PERSON. Why is this? Can we on this board not
distinghuish a person's ideas from that person?

If someone doesn't like my ideas, let them contradict me. That doesn't mean
that they wouldn't like me if they met me in person. And just because
someone agrees with my ideas on Theos-L doesn't mean that they WOULD like me
in person. I am more than what I write here, we all are.

If Jerry H-E has something to say about what Brenda wrote, let him say it
without imagining that he is attacking Brenda personally. And let Brenda
respond equally impersonally, responding to the points raised, and not
attacking Jerry. Frankly, I don't see either one of them attacking the other
personally, so why not leave off the criticism of the sharing of ideas.

Why not let this board be about ideas and viewpoints, and not about persons,
personalities and personal attacks? To continue to take arguments and
disagreements PERSONALLY is immature and leads to no discussion at all, for
fear that FEELINGS may be hurt.

Rich