Re: What did H.P.B. smoke?

Aug 07, 1995 02:23 PM
by KONEIL

As far as I can remember HPB smoked tobacco, but most of all
hashish. Take the modern stigma away when considering either
substance. Given her time in the middle east and india, hash is
widely used in those countries. And that was probably in the
time frame coca cola included cocaine. So, we cannot judge
actions a century ago by modern standards, nor mistake
contemporary Puritanical standards for those of a bon vivant
sophisticate such as HPB. Unless we want to do the disservice of
putting her on a pedestal and worshipping her as a cult figure.

Ken O'Neill, Kyoshi
White Lotus Society