FAQ for What should I read?

Aug 03, 1995 08:33 PM
by Brenda S. Tucker

Are there any comments on making the following available in
answer to the above question? This service would be provided by
John Mead, I believe.

Information regarding books is available from the Olcott Library.
OLCOTT@DUPAGELS.LIB.IL.US Olcott Library

There are other theosophical libraries (one below) and Quest
Books is a theosophical book store which you may find in your
area.

DEODARS@AOL.COM Theosophical Library Pasadena

THEOS@NETCOM.COM Theosophical Society In America

There may be other e-mail addresses like the three above who are
subscribers to theos-l which I have neglected to post. From time
to time there have also been lists of suggested reading here.
The following is an example:

>I recommend the following 6 or so books:
>
>(1) An Introduction to Esoteric Principles by William Doss
McDavid Paper, $7.50 This is an excellent introduction to HPB's
teachings.

>Order from The Theosophical Publishing House, P.O. Box 270,
Wheaton, Illinois 60189.

>(2) Deity, Cosmos and Man: An Outline of Esoteric Science by
Geoffrey A. Farthing. Paper, $15.00.

>Also a good introduction to Theosophy as presented by HPB and
the Masters.

>Order from Point Loma Publications, P.O. Box 6507, San Diego,
California 92166

>(3) The Key to Theosophy with a Glossary by H.P. Blavatsky.
Paper, $10.00 An introduction to Theosophy in HPB's own words.

>The best edition in print is available from The Theosophical
University Press, P.O. Box C, Pasadena, California 91109.

>(4) The Voice of the Silence translated by H.P. Blavatsky.
Paper, $5.00.

>Available from Theosophical University Press, see address above.

>Another good edition of The Voice of the Silence is the
centenary edition with a historical introduction published by The
Theosophical Publishing House, see address above. Paper, $5.95.

>(5) Abridgement of The Secret Doctrine by H.P. Blavatsky.
Edited by Elizabeth Preston and Christmas Humphreys. Paper,
$8.95. A good introduction to H.P.B.'s best known work. The
essence of the S.D. in 250 pp.

>Available from The Theosophical Publishing House, see address
above.

>(6) The Divine Plan by Geoffrey A. Barborka. Hardcover,
$24.95.

>Although not an introductory book, still this book is very
helpful to anyone who wants to understand the basic ideas and
concepts of the Secret Doctrine. This book by Barborka is a
commentary on the S.D. and also defines key Sanskrit words used
in the S.D. The index to the Divine Plan can be used like a
glossary to explain key Theosophical and Sanskrit terms used by
H.P.B.

>Available from The Theosophical Publishing House, see address
above.

>I also recommend two biographical works on H.P. Blavatsky to
help round out one's understanding:

>(7) H.P.B.: The Extraordinary Life and Influence of Helena
Blavatsky by Sylvia Cranston. Paper, 18.95; Hardcover; $30.00.

>Available from The Theosophical University Press, see address
above.

>(8) The Occult World of Madame Blavatsky compiled and edited by
Daniel H. Caldwell. $13.95, paper.

>Available from Impossible Dream Publications, P.O. Box 1844,
Tucson, Arizona 85702.

>If you order by mail, these publishers also charge postage.
Also prices do change. Here are the phone numbers of the
publishers in order to confirm prices and postage:

>The Theosophical Publishing House 1-800-669-9425

>The Theosophical University Press 1-818-798-3378

>Point Loma Publications 1-619-222-9609

>Impossible Dream Publications postage for the one book is $2.00.

>Of course, you can order all these books through your local
bookstore (especially your local metaphysical/new age bookstore).

>Also all titles listed above are available from one source:

>Wizards Bookshelf, P.O. Box 6600, San Diego, California 92166

>Call 1-619-258-0049 for price confirmation and postage.

>These recommendations have been compiled by Daniel H. Caldwell.

Another idea of a suggested reading list is this one by Naftaly
Ramramkar:

LOTS OF REFERNCES AND BOOKS ARE AVAILABLE.

HERE ARE A FEW OF THOSE

1. BASIC THEOSOPHY : GEOFFREY HODSON
2. SELF CULTURE / WAY OF SELF DISCOVERY : I.K. TAIMANI
3. SEEKING WISDOM : N. SRI RAM
4. KEY TO THEOSOPHY: H.P. BLAVATSKY
THERE ARE ALSO LOTS BASIC BOOKS BY BEASANT/ LEADBEATER.

THERE ALSO SOME BY JUDGE.

Anyone is free to make a suggested reading list and many of the
new reading lists are included here as soon as they are received.