Re Sy: Additional Tarot cards

Jun 01, 1995 09:12 AM
by Jerry Schueler

Sy,

I can understand the rationale for the extra five cards in the
major arcana, because Kaph, Mem, Nun, Pe, and Tzaddi are all
double letters (their gematria value changes if they are used as
the last letter in a word).  Basically, Tereshchenko is viewing
them as separate letters when used at the end of a word.  OK, so
this would give us 27 letters and a rationale for 27 major arcana
cards (I assume that the appropriate locations for these "paths"
on the Tree are given in one of his books).  But you haven't
explained where the other 11 letters come from.  Does
Tereshchenko explain this? And how will he place 16 new paths on
the Tree without some overlap? I think if he can do this in a
rational manner, his idea about additional arcana make eventually
be accepted.

I see the Tarot symbolism and the Tarot structure as two very
different things.  The Structure is important, because it is
supposed to be a microcosm of our universe, a mirror image if you
will.  which is the chief explanation for its predictive ability.
Those who use it for its symbolism probably don't care about its
structure.  But obviously if anyone could channel some archetypal
imagery and add new cards, we would soon have thousands of very
different decks on our hands, and its tradition value would go
out the window.  Today there are a lot of Tarot decks, all using
slightly different imagery and symbols, but all with the same
structure (except for my Enochian, which is structually based on
a different universe model) - which is that of the Qabala.  James
Wanless, Ph.D.  (president of Merrill-West Publishing, and a
Tarot expert and author of the Voyager deck) says "The strength
of the tarot is that its symbolism is subject to constant
redefinition and evolution" (New Age Tarot, p 1).  Thus while the
symbolism can evolve and grow (because it is archetypal) its
structure holds us to tradition and gives the deck a sense of
firmness.  It is its structure, for example, that defines the
Tarot from any other card deck.  Basically, changing its
structure is equivilent to redefining the magical universe, which
can be done, but is not trivial.

Jerry S.