Re: Lucid Dreams or Just Dreams

Apr 19, 1995 06:56 PM
by Astrea

Keith Price <74024.3352@compuserve.com> writes:

> I have been studying my dreams since I was an adolescent.

Me too!

  I have developed a
> technique that I have seen spoken of elsewhere as "lucid dreaming".

This technique has been most highly developed and promoted mostly
by Stephen LaBerge and the Lucidity Institute in the West,
although I understand there is a strong tradition of it amongst
the Dzogchen school of Tibetan Buddhism as well.  Most of us will
be familiar with Carlos Castenada's writings on the topic.

> Theosophy teaches us to beware of the astral world.  HPB said
> something to t effect that never a rose was plucked from the
> astral plan that the finger was pricked by a thorn.

There seems to be some evidence that some people can use lucid
dreaming techniques to transcend what we would call the astral
world and connect with experiences of a religious or
philosophical nature.

Some believe we travel to the astral plane between the
> earth and moon in our dreams.

Probably much astral "travel" doesn't involve leaving the
physical body, but rather withdrawing into other realms of
consciousness, traditionally associated with the Moon.

> I noticed the topic of lucid dreaming mentioned earlier.  Has
> anyone else received a "communitcation"?

Yes, from time to time.  I value these communications on their
own merits, especially if they withstand rational scrutiny.  It
is difficult to come to any definitive views on their source
though.  I have been starting to make my first faltering steps
toward lucid dreams lately.

ASTREA