Reply to Jerry on Reincarnation

Apr 17, 1995 08:41 PM
by Keith Price

Jerry writes:

As it turns out, it was HPB's version of reincarnation that
turned me into a theosophist in the first place.  I had read a
lot about reincarnation from the viewpoint of Vedanta, Buddhism,
yoga, and so on.  The Hindu version would seem to be that the
body is like a suit of clothing that we take off at death and
then we simply put on a new suit at birth.  This is too naive.  I
have never been able to accept the idea of a reincarnating ego...

I have recently found where Jung suggests (never comes right out
with it though) the possibility that the psyche can take on a new
ego in the theosophical sense of reincarnation.  He clearly does
say that the psyche pre-exists and post-exists the ego, which is
only a part (the conscious part) of the psyche.

I can accept that the skandas reincarnate, but not the ego.  But,
since we don't remember our past skandas, the whole business of
worrying over reincarnation does seem like mental gymnastics
sometimes.  .  .  .

I like your "variant possibilities." This reminds me of H.H.  the
Dali Lama who once spoke of wanting to come back as a fly.

Keith writes:

In reply I would like to reintroduce the idea discussed by me in
relation to the film "The Little Buddha" that the the gene pool
allows for the constant reincarnation and endless variation in
traits.  In some way we all may possibly get to be everybody else
in endless variation throughout endless time in innumerable
universes including parellel universes and things like meditation
and dream states.

The We that experiences this in not you or I, but is what is the
underlying UNITY CONSCIOUSNESS commonly called God and thus in
some ways is a personal God with anthropomorphic qualities and
not just DIVINE LUMINOUS MIND, but we can call IT that also.

Thus we get to be everthing and all, but only a little at a time,
at our little modems.  But the BIG INTERNET in the "sky" could be
called God, but It needs us as much as we need It.

In some way O.J Simpson will be mixed up with Mother Theresa and
we will get to be them both.  Thus lwe can never fully aspire to
be perfected beings in Nirvana because we already are as Unity,
but as individuals now hang back like Nirmankayas to teach as
best we can or work as best we can, a little bit at a time.

This makes my ego very pissed off (to use the French).  I'll go
now to the quickly filling up and increasingly noisey quiet room.

Namaste

Keith Price