Re: Re to Paul G on Chaos & Order

Apr 14, 1995 05:47 PM
by Paul Gillingwater

Jerry Schueler <76400.1474@compuserve.com> writes:

> I can agree with all of your topics, Paul, except Order.  This
> smacks too much of Personification for me.  Besides, Order

A very interesting point, which I agree with to a certain extent.
Specifically, I perceive that the universe does have a mixture of
order and chaos--anyone studying a little physics will see
evidence of both.  The crucial question is whether "intent" is
both a sufficient and necessary condition to explain why this
fundamental (one might even say "implicate") order exists.  If
so, whose intent? I also wish to avoid Personification -- but
suspect that Consciousness (i.e.  Purusha in relation to
Mulaprakriti) is responsible for the existence of Order, and also
guides evolution (and of course involution -- I didn't forget
it.)

> is the chaos factor that allow for change, and thus for growth.

Yep, absolutely.  Chaos is necessary to bring about
differentiation in the root substance.  But even chaos seems to
have pattern, in terms of following laws.

> only "plan" is the one we humans give; Jung calls it meaning.

I can't cite an authority, but my intuition suggests that we
shouldn't limit the ability to conceptualize a plan to just the
human kingdom.  If you accept the possibility of higher (and
lower) intelligences according to the law of Correspondences,
then perhaps "meaning" is abstracted at levels that to us are
relatively (but not absolutely) Divine, e.g.  the Solar Logos.

> Now I tend to agree with Meister Echkart, who taught that the
> world needs no purpose or plan, life is for living.

In doing so, surely he was acknowledging the existence of a
loving God?

Paul G.