Re: Grokking

Apr 08, 1995 04:40 AM
by Astrea

guru@nellie2.demon.co.uk (Dr. A.M.Bain) writes:

> What I have tried (and still do from time to time) is to attempt
> to share the _being_ of the "other" - flower or thunderstorm.
> When successful, the only way to describe the experience is that
> for a brief time I AM THAT (flower, etc.) and IT IS I.  It's a
> real WOW, GULP, OH OH OH experience.  One time when I was
> particularly 'psychic' (Neptune transit - 2 years of it) my sense
> of being and awareness was briefly transferred to a fly that had
> settled briefly on my coat.  I saw "me" through the fly's eyes.
> I was _enormous_ and yes, just like the constructed pics of how
> science imagines flies see us! I have occasionally "been" other
> creatures in this way.

I've had some experiences of this: in kind of trance/hypnogic
states I've successively had the sense of being some of my
colleagues (its good to help understand them.) It was funny the
other day, when I crossed someone else's name off a list, because
for a moment I thought I was them! THis doesn't usually happen
during working hours though.  Once I looked at a vase of flowers,
and felt that I was the flowers.  It was kind of sad, because
they didn't realize they had been cut and were trying to grow,
but couldn't.  I stopped buying cut flowers for a while after
that, but I've started again now.

ASTREA