Re: Various Comments

Apr 03, 1995 09:12 AM
by Dr. A.M.Bain

>>> Now, if we start writing channelled teachings, where will it
>>> end? ;-)
>>>
>>> ASTREA
>>
>> Enlightenment?  I doubt it!  Just my 2 [local currency] worth.
>>
> It will end with this list just being another New Age hang out.
>
> ASTREA

Now suppose I delete "channelled teaching" and replace with "a
deeper understanding as perceived during meditation upon the
inner planes" - ?  In 1875, _Theosophists_ were "New Age" - and
said so.  In fact the New age-ers stole our clothes, in one
sense, except that in some ways they may have improved the
design, as in other ways they have sullied it. [IMHO].

Or how about "Received while in communication with my Higher
Self?" - or "God said?" That process, perhaps, mentioned by HPB
in the SD [3rd ed. 1893 ff. - vol I p.631]:

"Jesus _the Initiate_ ... his own "Father," whom he knew, and
with whom he communed ... "Spirit to Spirit and Soul to Soul."

Our theosophical 'fathers' and 'mothers' are said to be the
higher selves of each one of us acting within - offering us each,
as individuals, the opportunity (not always taken) to see and
know more deeply.

I thought it would be interesting to use the term "channelled" to
see what happened [as also the word "dogma" which means
"teaching"].  Both words can arouse emotive responses these days
:-).  In all our studies, IMO, we are continually faced with the
problem of semantics, of defining our terms.  Here in our
theosophy corner we have our own jargon, just as we would in the
physics laboratory.

"When I use a word," said Humpty Dumpty, "It means whatever I
want it to mean."

"Progress was all right once, but it's gone on far too long."
[paraphrased ? from Ogden Nash].

So, maybe, in its own way, our list is an "Old New Age" hang out.

Alan.