Online Besant edition

Apr 02, 1995 10:06 AM
by Derek Davis

Hello--

I hope I'm not intruding, but I've just published an electronic
edition of "Evolution and Occultism" by Annie Besant, a reprint
of vol.  3 of a collection of articles and lectures first
published in 1913.  I'm doing this as part of my online
publishing business, so it's not free but, I think, cheap enough
($5; $4.50 for members--and membership *is* free, for now).

I'm not that directly familiar with Theosophical writings, but I
read a great deal about occultism more years ago that I like to
think about, just after leaving college.  When I decided to start
up an online publishing business, I was concentrating mostly on a
magazine but wanted to do books also, and occult and arcana
titles seemed natural.  I started by using the University of
Pennsylvania library as my source--they have an interesting and
varied collection.

If anyone is interested in the Besant, you can read a selection
from it at http://pobox.com/slt/retread.html.  And if you think
online reprints of such works are worthwhile, I'd appreciate
suggestions for public domain titles (prior to 1920) that you'd
like to see done.  I noticed mention of Alice Bailey on this
list.  I'm not familiar with her work--are there titles by her
which might be useful to be online?

Thanks for listening.  I've enjoyed many of the comments I've
seen here over the last week or so.  The belief structure isn't
mine, but the gentle decency and openness of outlook is more than
refreshing.  And I must say that I came away from working on the
Besant book with a true appreciation of her as a highly moral (as
opposed to moralistic) person and remarkably strong woman.

--Derek Davis

Derek Davis
derek@troll.com Voice: 215-222-4956
http://pobox.com/slt/ (home of Silly Little Troll Publications)
"Everything takes longer than it does." --Murphy's lawyer