Theosophy Head and Heart

Nov 20, 1994 04:23 PM
by WILLAM ALLEN

William Wrote:

> One leaps to a higher or more sophisticated awareness can be
> misused by others.  What one discovers, if shared, can be
> misused; more to the point, perhaps, the more sophisticated,
> knowing "you" can be co-opted by a corrupt system and you can
> find yourself (probably on reflection) having used new, higher
> insights to do things that you shouldn't have done or should have
> done differently.

Arthur Replies:

> I understand how others can misuse or misread a leap in an
> individuals consciousness.  What intrigues me is your helpful
> reminder of the lower part of the self to deceive itself.  What
> part of my original post was this referring to ? I am interested
> in your insights.

Arthur, I'm not sure I can point to exactly what in your message
last week prompted my reply; I suspect that it was the comment(s)
on the university system.  I am deeply depressed by what I see
happening to the system.  In particular I am worried about the
effect of "outcomes assessment" on education.  The movement is
everywhere in public education and I suspect that within five
years or so I will be teaching tests, i.e., I will be under the
same pressure as everyone else to be certain that our students
score as well as or higher than students at other institutions
(no matter what the state government promises, one can be certain
that these comparative scores will be used to drive funding--at
least partially).  These tests will be depressingly quantifiable
and they'll not test what I hope students are getting from my
classes.  I've reached a point in my teaching career in which I
try to sense where a particular class "wants" to go and then I
try to facilitate the going.  My subject is art history and art
appreciation, subjects that can "turn" students on--but only if
they are not rote memorization classes.

My own guilt? I'm on committees looking at how we are going to
implement the new state mandates.  I'll contribute.  I'll not
like the committee recommendation.  I'll not resign.  I'll be
co-opted.

Does that make sense?

William