love or money?

May 16, 1994 07:02 PM
by Eldon B. Tucker

This is by Brenda Tucker.

I think what Paul Johnson is feeling is that rather than looking
at what he has said in detail in his book, IN SEARCH OF THE
MASTERS BEHIND THE OCCULT MYTH, people are summarizing his work
and basing their reaction to a historical treatment of
theosophical "initiates."  Any historical treatment of the
initiates should be respected for what it is.  History is a valid
subject in its own right and historians have their own set of
objectives and rules.  I would encourage Paul (since we don't all
have his books) to make certain points refering to details of his
book as his time might permit.

However, a subject that has been regularly treated with delicacy
and some secrecy might encounter difficulty in becoming public
record.  History is available to the public, but esotericism is
not.  The difference in the matter, shockingly, is that the public
is unable to love to the extent that an inner group is.

I'm very thankful that Paul is contributing what he is able to
contribute on the subject of theosophy for two reasons.

1) By theosophists meeting and communicating with historians, we
are given opportunity to express the ideal of brotherhood by
practicing it and not just preaching it.

2) Because Paul has such a keen interest in the subject of
theosophical initiates, he is brought (even though at present he
may seem more historically-minded) into the group that is seeking
spiritual knowledge.  With the right treatment of him and his
work, he also may learn to prefer a different form of "facts" as
time goes on.

This is why MJ's review is particularly important.  While some may
show a hard public stance against public exposure of such delicate
matters, it is certainly true that there may be some who read
Paul's books and decide to investigate the matter more fully by
continuing a study of theosophy through its other literature.  MJ,
at least, has stimulated a certain type of interest by reviewing
the matter.

To me, treating another person brotherly does not necessarily mean
exposing every facet of their character at the earliest
opportunity, but my brother deserves all the best things that I
want for myself and for others that I love.  I hope they will be
fairly treated and at times admired and sought for company.  I
don't want to see them hurt, condemned or ridiculed.  When we
really are in love it is like the best time in the world.  Rose-
colored glasses may be nearer to the truth as it is paraphrased
when looking through the eyes of love.  Painting a rosy picture of
another's worth is not what happens when history is written.  When
we read theosophical literature on the other hand, love expands
through every word, as the writer's nature enters their "love
poetry" and is their reason for writing.