GAME DESIGN

May 08, 1994 09:22 AM
by daratman

Here's an outline that a colleague and I (Daniel Hampson) use for our
workshops in "DESIGNING INSTRUCTIONAL GAMES". I thought it
might give a common framework upon which we can all share ideas...

I. INTRODUCTION
  A. Use Active Learning to...
  B. Develop What Skills?

II. PURPOSE
  A. Classroom Presentation
  B. Jazz Up Materials
  C. Facilitate Memorization
  D. Review for Tests
  E. Creative Thinking

III. SELECT CONTENT
   A. Support Purpose
   B. Limit Amount
   C. Skills, Facts, Concepts
   D. Define Key Points
   E. Determine Sequence

IV. TIME CONSIDERATIONS
   A. Construction
   B. Playing
   C. Debriefing

V. TYPE OF GAME
   A. Board
   B. Maze
   C. Activity
   D. Card
   E. Contest
   F. Puzzle
   G. Simulation
   H. Computer

VI. PLAYING FIELD DESIGN
   A. Configuration
   B. Stops, Advances, Retreats
   C. Visuals
   D. Color
   E. Sound

VII. CLUES
   A. Questions
   B. Process Steps
   C. Problems
   D. Images
   E. Music
   F. Performance

VIII. CARDS (Questions & Instructions)
   A. Feedback
   B. Visual References
   C. Color Coding
   D. Review

IX. RULES
   A. Fairness
   B. Skill Levels
   C. Objectives
   D. Flexibility
   E. Clarity

X. FIELD TESTS
   A. Students
   B. Children
   C. Teachers

We have presented this workshop to Regional and National gatherings of
the American Society for Training and Development (ASTD).  Those that
have attended are Corporate and Institutional Training Directors and
Curriculum Designers.

Any of us can adapt our own interests and expertise to these basic
subject areas without being overwhelmed by the larger task of putting
it all together.  That comes later.  Using this outline will also help
us see how a suite of games may interconnect, and provide a structure
by which to catalog our progress.