a world and its beings

Nov 12, 1993 11:11 AM
by eldon

I tried to post this yesterday evening at about 9:11 pm PST, but never
got it back from the list, on either of my accounts on the list. Since
there was noise on the phone line, I now think that it never made it
and am reposting it below.

----

The theosophical view of things is similar to the steady state theory
of astronomy. There are some resemblances. The idea is that no
matter how big a world, a solar system, a universe that comes into
being, exists for a while, then disappears, there is always something
bigger, whose current existence allows for everything else to be
present.

At whatever scale that we look at life, a universe comes into being in
and through a currently-existing bigger one. And it is the same at
our scale. We, as humans, are born into existing worlds, existing
embodiments of vastly greater lives .

When we are born, and take on a physical body, we've effectively
created a world in which our cells can live and exist. Our life is
the organizing element that brings it together and makes it function.
When it withdraws, the cells begin to die, and to go their own ways.

The cells come into being through or find their lives in the
environment that we create by our bodies. And as we step into our
seven principles on a globe, into manifest existence on it, we're like
cells entering or being reborn into a human body.

Looking at the higher functioning of the body, there are various
organs, and systems, like the nervous system. There are various
specializations of the life that the body expresses. The organs are
not self-sufficient, independent beings with a life and consciousness
of their own, they are reflections of various types of consciousness
in the activity of the body.

The higher functions of the body are to express the consciousness of
the man therein. He has an arm and reaches with it. A cell in the
arm has no idea what an arm is or what is going on. The cells, the
inhabitants of the "universe" that the body comprises, are guests, in
once sense, and children in another, of the man.

As we life in the body, we do not see life through the eyes and
experience life through the countless activities of the billions of
cells in our bodies. We are not simultaneously and separately aware
in each and every cell. Our connection with the cells is collective.
They change because of who we are and what we do. We are limited or
helped by what they have become.

The same is true of us in the world in which live. Brahma does not
see life through each of our eyes, all the time, simultaneously. The
high, lofty being whose body our world consists of, is as unaware of
what we experience as we are of individual cells in our bodies.

There is no down-looking, all-seeing God, ruling over our world,
distinctly and simultaneously aware of every activity of every
creature therein. Because everything in life is interconnected, the
experiences of all are felt. But like any being, even as the highest
one, there is a single focus of consciousness, a single point of
attention, and that attention is directed towards happenings at his
own scale of being, happenings with beings of a similar class.

As Monads, we were never created by anyone, but as individual beings
in a particular world, in some existence, we come into being due to
the courtesy of the being whose living form comprises our world. We
have a birth, grow old, then die. Apart from existence in a
particular world, though, we are rooted in the Timeless, at that level
there is no such thing as a beginning.

We bear an eternal family relationship to other Monads. A
relationship that is deeply rooted in our natures. One relationship
is to others at the same scale, as companions in the drama of
eternity.

Another is one of hierarchy, world-creating, life-giving, to others at
a different scale. We are forever parents to a host of lessor Monads,
our children, who may live as cells in our bodies, and more
particularly are our life atoms. At the other scale, we are children
of the same Parent Star, the same Inner God or Divine Monad, and trail
behind in the shadow of its splendor and glory.

                                  Eldon Tucker (eldon@netcom.com)